Skip to main content
Answered

Help needed: Completely removing Intercom from website after uninstallation

• 26 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I previously had Intercom installed on my website, but I recently removed the application. However, I'm still experiencing an issue where the Intercom code continues to load, causing significant delays in page loading times. Despite uninstalling the app, I'm unable to locate the files or code responsible for calling the Intercom script in my database or codebase.I've thoroughly searched through my files but can't find where the Intercom code is being loaded from. This lingering code is negatively impacting my site's performance.Can anyone provide guidance on how to completely remove all traces of Intercom from my website? Specifically:

1. Where should I look to find any remaining Intercom code snippets?
  2. Are there any common places where the Intercom script might still be getting called from?
  3. What steps can I take to ensure Intercom is fully uninstalled and no longer loading on my pages?
  4. Are there any tools or methods to trace the origin of the Intercom script that's still loading?

Any help or suggestions in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @jordan 👋  The Intercom Messenger is designed to load asynchronously on pages. This means that it waits until the rest of the assets on the page are loaded, which can make it appear that the load time is long, but in reality, it starts loading after the last asset on your page has finished loading. Additionally, calls to the Intercom library are made asynchronously, ensuring that if the Intercom servers were down, it won't affect the subsequent loading of other elements on your page.

I’ve taken a look at jaquelinequintero.com and it appears that the reference to Intercom still exists - this may be due to to using the WordPress plugin to install Intercom on your site, could you check this?