Answered

Optional/nullable params in Custom Action

• 31 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello, I have a custom action that is supposed to send a request to my server along with multiple url params attached.

The problem is however, not ALL of the params are sent for every request. Yet, since they are declared in the Request section of Custom Actions the call fails presumably because not every param has a value. 

The questions are, 1.) are we able to set these params to be “optional” and I’m just missing the option? 2.) Why can’t Intercom just recognize that this param is empty, and input a null, or avoid the param all together and leave validation up to the server receiving side? AKA, my server.

I just feel like this product is feature limited to the point its useless, at least for my use case. And yes, I have tried for hours to Google, watch Youtube videos, browse articles (even found this one), reach out to support (no response), and just plain ol’ trying things on my own before coming here. So don’t give me the ol’ “Search Google” non-sense.

PRODUCTIVE AND SUPPORTIVE ANSWERS ONLY, PERIOD!

icon

Best answer by Jacob Cox 4 June 2023, 00:36

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Mitch Evans !

You’re correct that the reason you’re running into the error is due to some of your attributes not having a value. I’m sorry this is causing issues with your workflow!

I’m going to write up a Feature Request around this for our Product Team to consider implementing during the next round of improvements to our Custom Actions. Hopefully this something we can help solve for you and other customers with similar workflows!

Hi @Mitch Evans !

You’re correct that the reason you’re running into the error is due to some of your attributes not having a value. I’m sorry this is causing issues with your workflow!

I’m going to write up a Feature Request around this for our Product Team to consider implementing during the next round of improvements to our Custom Actions. Hopefully this something we can help solve for you and other customers with similar workflows!

Has there been any update to this? It’s incredibly limiting to only be able to send attributes you can guarantee will have values every single time. It completely blocks any functionality where you rely on the logic of whether a value exists or not to do something.

I cannot imagine any technical justification for not just inserting attributes of unknown value as null or empty strings.